Friday 26 October 2012

Lebanese Moussaka

Lebanese moussaka

Even though we'd only just had another dish with fried aubergines, while I had Paola Gavin's Mediterranean Vegetarian Cooking out of the library, I decided to make another:  Lebanese moussaka.  This is similar to Greek moussaka but, crucially, vegetarian. 

It involves the now familiar-to-me frying of the aubergine slices, setting them aside.  Then frying an onion and garlic in olive oil, adding chickpeas and tinned tomatoes, salt, black pepper and allspice.  Then layering the mixture in between aubergine slices and baking for around 15 minutes at 200 degrees C.

Ready to go into the oven
Ready to go into the oven

I really liked it but, then, it involved aubergines AND chickpeas so that is not wholly surprising.  I do think, next time, I might spice it more - I was trying to be good and follow the recipe but I think it could use a bit of chilli or something else to pep it up a bit.

No comments:

Post a Comment