Tuesday 16 October 2012

Restaurant review - The Wapping Project, Wapping, London

Trend-setter that I am, I visited The Wapping Project with friends just before this Guardian review of it was published.  The Wapping Project is achingly cool.  So cool that its website doesn't even work in my edition of Firefox.  Anyway.

The space is amazing.  I'm usually - to be honest - all about the food but, sometimes, a space is so lovely that you have to notice it.  It's pretty awesome to be able to wander into an old warehouse, look at some modern art, and then have a meal with some of the art surrounding you. 

However.  The restaurant is expensive, even for London - we ended up spending around £50 a head for cocktails/two courses/post-dinner drinks.  And, to be honest, I didn't think it was quite worth that.  The food was nice enough - I had a starter involving some wild mushrooms and a main dish that made a lovely creamy sauce out of sweetcorn to go with gnocchi - but there are places I'd rather spend that sort of amount on dinner.  The service was pretty ropey too - our waitress didn't really seem to know what she was doing and was difficult to track down.  The cocktails were, I thought, the best bit - some interesting ones on the menu and they were carefully and freshly prepared and well worth it.  I had a blood orange margarita that was one of the best cocktails I think I've ever had.  Given that, I sort of regretted not just going for cocktails and somewhere else for dinner.

No comments:

Post a Comment