Thursday 24 May 2012

Garlic fried potatoes

Ta da!
My life is pretty good so I don't have many problems.  There are, however, two that I have been wrestling with for a little while:  my lovely husband doesn't much like potatoes but I do; and what the right side dish for Ottolenghi's stuffed onions is.


The answer to both of these questions seems to be garlic fried potatoes.  I've been messing around with these for a while and I think I now have it right.  What I do is: 


Frying potatoes
  • take eight or nine new potatoes
  • slice them up roughly into quarters or thirds depending on the size of them
  • heat a couple of tablespoons of olive oil in a frying pan
  • fry the potatoes for about 10 minutes - until they start to give out some juice
  • then crush 4-5 cloves of garlic in
Almost at the garlic stage
  • continue to fry until they go crispy and golden brown on the outside (this stage usually takes another 20 minutes)
  • add salt and black pepper a couple of minutes before I take them off the heat
And then eat!  I suspect that frying them in butter might make them tastier but, for health reasons, I prefer not to.  A word of warning:  these are really quite garlicky!  

No comments:

Post a Comment