Thursday 17 May 2012

Roasted tomatoes, inspired by Nigel Slater

Nigel Slater's Kitchen Diaries has a couple of recipes that involve halving then baking tomatoes with olive oil, a bit of garlic, and chopped fresh herbs on top.  All well and good, I thought, but not enough garlic.  This is quite a frequent thought, I have.  I love garlic and so do tomatoes.  How to get more garlic into this dish?  I decided that the way forward was to try slicing some garlic and then sliding it into the tomatoes.  It works rather well and you end up with lovely roasted tomatoes with little bits of roasted garlic inside them.  I recommend having some bread to mop up the juice with.

Mmm, tomatoes
Putting garlic into tomatoes
Putting garlic into tomatoes



Tomatoes ready to go into the oven

Recipe:  slice tomatoes in half, slide bits of garlic into tomatoes, drizzle with olive oil, fresh herbs (I think parsley and/or rosemary stand up better to baking than basil, myself, but it's up to you - I've also used coriander before as I am more likely to have it in the house and that also works), a little bit of balsamic vinegar, salt and lots of black pepper, bake for about half an hour or until they look tasty.

4 comments:

  1. You are a genius. I, too, am inclined to think 'not enough garlic', but I hadn't thought about putting bits of it into tomatoes for roasting. Yum!

    Liz

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I find it very difficult to have tomatoes without lots of garlic..

      Delete
  2. Sticking garlic into the tomatoes is a great idea.
    I've also had tomatoes roasted with garlic and honey, which was more delicious than I expected.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can see that working well - tomatoes do often need a bit of sugar/similar to bring out the flavour.

      Delete