Saturday 4 August 2012

Restaurant review - El Sabio, Winchester

Recently, my lovely husband and I celebrated our wedding anniversary with a day and nice meal in Winchester.  Winchester is great - much recommended.  We chose El Sabio for our anniversary meal because it's unusual to see a Spanish restaurant with a good selection of vegetarian dishes and so it's good to take advantage of that when you can.

We had a jug of nice sangria, some olives to start, and then the vegetarian paella, mushrooms in sherry and blue cheese sauce, mushroom and manchego croquettes, the "catalan-style" bread (bread toasted with garlic and crushed cherry tomatoes) and my husband had the fish stew as well.  It was all good - but the bread and the croquettes particularly so.  We also had dessert - they offer you "tapas desserts", i.e. the chance to have three small desserts rather than just one, which worked really well for us, the raspberry and white chocolate cheesecake was particularly well executed.  Plus, anywhere that serves Pedro Ximenez sherry is always a winner with us. 

The only thing I'd criticise is the service which wasn't great - e.g. we had to ask four times for water before it was brought to us.  But, as I've said before, the food is the most important thing for me so I wasn't devastated by this. 

No comments:

Post a Comment